Monday, March 5, 2012

What's In a Name?

  I know the names of a lot of people. I get a roster of the names of  approximately 150 people at the beginning of each school year and I'm expected to learn their names very quickly. I like to learn the names of my students as quickly as possible. Students also like for me to remember their names. This year, I have two Kaitlins, a K-R-Isten and a K-I-Rsten. We've been in school 130 days and I still get K-I-Rsten's name wrong! She doesn't appreciate it. Why? Because names are special. Calling someone by his/her name affords that person validation. Maybe Kirsten believes I do not even really know who she is given that I mess-up her name so frequently.

  I like for people to know my name. I like to be called by my name. Many married couples turn to calling one another "honey" or "baby" and I see the affection in those terms but I like for my husband to call me by my name sometimes. For me, that's more intimate because he's addressing me by a term that identifies me as ME, Amanda,  instead of a term that could be applied to just anyone.

  I've recently started a Bible study on the many names ascribed to God in the Bible. It's a special study to me, not only because it's helping me become better acquainted with God, but because a group of ladies, whom I consider my spiritual heroes, completed the same study when I was a kid and I've often heard those ladies reference various names of God. That always stuck with me and now I'm going through the study. (those ladies are Nancy Manley, Vicki Thompson, and Jean Everett. Just to NAME a few!)

  I'm only on the second name, El Elyon. El Elyon identifes God as The Sovereign Ruler of the Universe. The first few lessons on this name showed how El Elyon has complete control over every aspect of the world and how there's absolutely nothing that is not controlled by His power. I think it's easy for us to understand that when we witness powerful storms or the beauty of nature but often difficult for us during times of stress or heartache.

  Last night, as I was studying, I was amazed at one aspect of God's power that I've never truly understood. We all know that Job was tempted to curse God when Satan was given permission to destroy his family, possessions and finally his body. It's amazing to me that Job was such a man of integrity that he never gave satan what he wanted. He never forsook God or ceased trusting Him. Thus, giving validation to the power of God over satan. Satan couldn't even touch Job without God's permission! But Job was a righteous man from the start and God had faith that Job would remain faithful.

  We then looked in Luke at Peter. Satan also asked God for permission to destroy Peter; to "sift him as wheat" (Lk 22:31). The fascinating thing about this temptation was that God knew that Peter, unlike Job, would give Satan what he wanted. Even though Peter assured Jesus that he was "ready to go with Him, both into prison and death," God knew that Peter was unable to stand up to Satan's sifting and would deny him (Lk 22:33-34). It seems as though God is allowing Satan a victory.

  So many times, I've heard the names of people whom Satan has sifted and I've heard people allow Satan  the glory. I've been sifted by Satan, but God's plan, even when we deny Him, is to always have the glory. El Elyon is still the Sovereign ruler of the universe, even when Satan seems to have the power over someone's life. The proof is right there in Luke, along with the rest of the story. Just after Jesus tells Peter that Satan wants him, Jesus also says, "But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not; AND WHEN THOU ART CONVERTED (turned back again), strengthen thy brethren" (Luke 22:32). Jesus, El Elyon, knew when He allowed Satan to sift Peter that Peter would fall. But hallelujah, He also knew that Peter would get back up!! And that when he did, El Elyon would still be in control and still have a plan for Peter. Jesus told Peter that the purpose for allowing Satan to "get him" was so that he could "STRENGTHEN THE BRETHREN" after he got back up! Friends, I am not saying that I'm anywhere near as significant as Peter. But I do know that I've allowed Satan some victories in my life. But I'm getting back up and El Elyon is still the ruler of the universe and HE IS GETTING THE GLORY! God is in control, even when we are out of control!

"If when I give my life to God, it is broken, it is because pieces will feed a mulititude, while a loaf will feed only a little lamb." Pray for me that I might strengthen someone else who has fallen.

 
  I

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you so much for this post, Amanda. It truly encouraged my heart today..the Lord is so good! -patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Patty. It encourages me that you got a blessing. God is GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete