Monday, April 25, 2011

The analogy continues...

  I would like to clarify something about my last post regarding the need for spiritual treatment. I do not wish anyone to believe healing can be restored while disobeying Doctors orders. On the contrary, when receiving treatment for spiritual wounds, I understand the patient must be willing to accept the treatment. Patients who have formerly been in good health and have fallen ill, understand better than anyone the need for thorough treatment.

   The best doctors, after assessing the wounds or sickness of a patient, develop a treatment plan. That plan is not based solely on the wounded patient  they see in front of them. Good doctors study the entire medical history of their patients and proceed accordingly. "O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways." Ps. 139:1-3 Therefore, I have perfect trust in the Great Physician that He is indeed capable of forming a treatment plan that is right for me.  "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Jer. 29:11 I also believe it is the Doctor's desire to see sick patients restored to perfect health. "I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely; for mine anger is turned away from him." Hosea 14:4 Because I know all this, and I have faith in my Doctor, I am willing to accept that the treatment plan will include both healing balms and cleansing antiseptics.

"Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.  For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me." Psalm 51:1-3 "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." Psalm 51:7

You see, I understand that no matter how difficult the treatment is, the patient must be willing to accept it. The patient must be willing to endure the injections, IV's, and wound scrubbings. My purpose was not to dispute the Doctor's orders, but rather to draw attention to the nurses that are charged with assisting. I draw your attention back to the original verse on which I based my comments: "Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye that are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted." Gal. 6:1 While the Great Physician does indeed have all that is required for healing, He charges nurses with the duties of assisting patients on their journey to restoration. My purpose, from a patient's perspective,  is that there are plenty of nurses out there with sufficient knowledge of treatment plans handed down from the doctor. My concern is that those nurses lack the "spirit of meekness" with which they are supposed to administer treatment.  Meekness there means humility and mildness. Because, "thou also be tempted." I think too often, we look at a patient and say, "That could never happen to me!" But, Sin is a disease that we are all afflicted with.

Have you ever watched a patient endure Chemo therapy. The medicine is good for the patient and can eventually bring healing. However, when the chemicals mix with the poison in the body, horrible pain and sickness result. Loss of hair, vomiting, writhing in agony are also often symptoms. My point was there are plenty of nurses just waiting for the opportunity to stick patients with needles and apply antiseptic to wounds - to carry out the treatment plan. However, there aren't many who possess the meekness the Great Physician requires, to hold their hand, and put themselves in the position of a patient who well remembers health, while they suffer their way through treatment. I don't wish for any nurse to stray from the treatment plan. I only wish they would also consider how painful treatment is for the patient and recognize sticking patients isn't their only duty. Staying by them with MEEKNESS is also required in order for their job to be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment